Service Engineer, Senior-IEB-XBOX Live (826868) Job
Date: May 13, 2013
Location: Redmond, WA, US
Location: Redmond, WA, US
Job ID: 826868-104246
Do you love entertainment, whether it’s games, music, TV, or movies, on any screen? Are you constantly plugged in to the industry and always looking forward to what’s next? Can you clearly articulate why Sony might be successful with one type of consumer, while Nintendo might have an entirely different class of users?
If so, let’s see if this sounds like you:
Do you void the warranty on every device you own by cracking it open (perhaps literally, or in software) to really see how it works? Do you install or even write your own homebrew code to make your devices do things never intended by the manufacturer?
You may not really be a hardcore fanboy of any particular ecosystem - you simply want the best possible customer experience for whatever you are passionate about and will stop at nothing to get it. There is no end your curiosity.
Still reading? Great - let’s get to the point:
Here in Xbox LIVE Service Delivery, we have been on the cutting edge over the past 10 years, continuously delivering the best gaming and entertainment platform in the world. We achieve that by knowing our devices and services inside and out, by putting our customers first, and by knowing how the rest of the industry operates. It’s easy to ship a service. Running that service worldwide, every day, at unimaginable scale, all while staying ahead of the other guys, is another game entirely. We are not Operations; we are Service Engineering: we create solutions for service delivery over the long haul.
We are looking for a Senior Service Engineer to help define the next generation of entertainment devices and services, and to help ensure our customers have the best possible experience, even when things go wrong. Well-qualified candidates have extensive experience in running web-based services, deconstructing interaction between client and servers (via a combination of logging, network traces, and so on); have a good understanding of C# and/or PowerShell, and excellent ability to communicate verbally and on paper.
If you have that real desire to work in reverse engineering mode, have the ability to write some code, can interpret a network capture and explain it so a 10 year old understands it, and have quick intuition to separate truth from fiction (aka, a good BS meter), our team just may be a place for you to really do what you love.
Core Job Responsibilities:
* The design, care and feeding of the core infrastructure services
* Approach engineering challenges with a pro-active and engineering principled mindset
* Instrument the services in such a manner that every event is actionable in an automated manner
* Define, create and manage metrics and KPI’s
* Creation and implement automation features to eliminate common manual tasks (PowerShell, C#)
* Work with the operations center and feature teams as a subject matter expert, offering education and guidance on integration, support and monitoring of toolset
* Serve as Tier 4 escalation point responsible for troubleshooting, as well as mentor and coach others
* Demonstrate complex troubleshooting skills, deep knowledge of the services running Xbox LIVE infrastructure, and working with engineers and vendors to resolve issues
* Participate in defining and developing long-term service platform strategies
* Participate in an on call rotation 24x7
* BS/MS in Computer Science or related technical Certifications, preferred
* 5+ years' online services support experience required
* 5+ years' of experience with coding languages and code debugging
* 2+years’ of service automation using scripting tools (Power Shell preferred)
* 5+ years' of service/server troubleshooting required
* 5+ years' of experience handling critical support incidents with demonstrable executive communication skills
* Proven hands-on experience designing and deploying services including configuration of various network devices, strongly preferred
* Clear understanding of networking services, technologies, and protocols at all layers of the stack(IPv4/6, TCP, UDP, DNS, SSL, TLS, DNS, HTTP, etc.) required
* Strong written and oral communication skills required
* Past experience in an on call rotation 24 x7 required
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Job Segments: Engineer, Game Designer, Computer Science, TV, Engineering, Technology, Creative