Software Development Engineer, Principal - Startup Business Group Job
Date: May 1, 2013
Location: Redmond, WA, US
Location: Redmond, WA, US
Job ID: 819490-99121
Division: Corporate Research & Development
Do you want to part of a team that builds the next big, game-changing entertainment and communication experiences? We are developing a cutting-edge new video and depth-sensor based technology that goes beyond anything on the market today.
This position is a senior individual contributor, high-impact position in the development of a V.1 game-changing technology currently under wraps in Microsoft’s Startup Business Group (SBG). This team is developing multiple products, based on this new technology that will be shipped with the XBOX and Lync/Skype divisions. A critical part of this role is the transitioning of complex, cutting-edge R&D into shipping products.
The mission of SBG is to drive new business value for Microsoft by identifying new business and technology opportunities, building new products and taking them to market successfully.
The Principal Software Development Engineer (SDE) will reside within a product team inside of SBG, and be tasked with building new products in a highly dynamic space that crosses computer vision, GPGPU programming, FPGA programming, image processing, video, networking and graphics. This is a small group with little hierarchy that has much interaction with business and technical leaders across the company. This group is uniquely situated outside of existing product groups, allowing it to pursue innovative, product-worthy ideas and solutions that may be unfeasible to develop inside the product groups.
• Provide individual contribution and technical leadership to the design, implementation, testing and release of novel, V1 products
• Specifically be responsible for architecting and writing ship-quality software and optimizing and testing the product(s) for public release
• Work hand-in-hand with the computer vision software team to integrate new algorithms into the product(s) while being responsible for achieving rigorous performance and quality metrics
• Participate hands-on in all aspects of the software development process, from the conceptual design and architecture, all the way through to code implementation, testing, debugging and release
• Anticipate and identify architectural issues, dependencies and risks, and proactively frame productive debates to facilitate trade-off analysis and decision making
• Play a key role on technical communication, coordination and alignment up and down the organizational structure (from executives to individual contributors), across product line teams (with Architects across organizational boundaries) and externally (addressing complex customer issues and needs)
• This is a complex individual contribution and technical leadership role requiring strong coding abilities, math abilities, attention-to-detail, and technical and strategic acumen. The successful candidate will bring 15+ years of engineering experience architecting, developing, testing and releasing relevant systems technologies.
In particular, the SBG team seeks demonstrated world-class technical expertise and accomplishments in the following areas:
• General Purpose GPU (GPGPU) programming expertise with shipping products
• Experience implementing computer vision algorithms in shipping products including deep experience in writing high quality product code, writing automated tests for the code and optimizing the code for speed and performance
• Game Development, specifically game engine development, complex game systems
• Experience with Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) programming (desirable but not required)
In general, this person must have:
• World class mathematical ability
• Broad knowledge and hands-on experience in all aspects of the software development life cycle
• World class design/architectural skills and software product development/shipping experience with large and complex systems software projects
• Strong development discipline and attention to detail that incorporates rigorous design, development and testing into all aspects of the product development cycle
• Reputation for being a thought leader in particular area of specialty, prior experience setting architectural direction, vision, roadmap for products
• Ability to establish credibility with senior engineers and senior management across the company; ability to earn and sustain the respect of highly technical professionals
• Ability to operate effectively and efficiently under high uncertainty and ambiguity in a very dynamic environment
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Job Segments: Developer, Product Development, Game Designer, Engineer, Research, Technology, Engineering