Experienced Physics Programmer - Microsoft Game Studios - Rare Job
Date: May 19, 2013
Location: Midlands Region, GB
Location: Midlands Region, GB
Job ID: 799623-85336
Division: Interactive Entertainment Business
Experienced Physics Programmer - Microsoft Game Studios - Rare
Location: Twycross, UK
Comp Plan: C1
Recruiter: Ken Liu (v-kenliu)
Closing Date: 4/7/2012
Following on from the success of ‘Kinect Sports’ and its recent sequel ‘Kinect Sports: Season Two’, Rare is continuing to push the boundaries of entertainment technology with our exciting new project. We’re looking for an experienced and passionate physics engineer to join us on the journey.
Based at our custom built Twycross site, this role will involve you collaborating across the studio and with our middleware and first party partners. You will be responsible for defining and driving the way that physics based animation and gameplay moves forward within the studio and ensuring that Rare remains at the forefront of industry developments in these areas. You will be required to develop and maintain key partnerships across the studio and across the broader business and will be responsible for ensuring that external partners are delivering the solutions and support required.
-Deliver advanced game engine software for use within the studio.
- Work with partners inside and outside of Microsoft Studios to push shared direction and avoid duplication of research efforts.
- Provide technology intelligence to Rare’s senior leadership team.
- Enable our gameplay engineers and content creators to deliver world class AAA products.
- Implement physics and animation systems, collaborating with Gameplay engineers and Animators to ensure that these solutions are fit for purpose.
- Communicate effectively with art and design vision holders, taking or suggesting direction as required.
- Formulate effective long term strategy for physics and animation, taking into account developments from across the industry and middleware partners.
- Ensure that content authoring tools and the asset pipeline efficiently fulfill the evolving needs of physics based gameplay and animation.
- Mentor junior engineers.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Proven industry Engineering experience is a must and the successful delivery of a triple-A physics-based title a distinct advantage.
Additional Desirable Experience
- Significant experience of real-time physics simulations, such as Havok or Bullet.
- Direct experience of implementing real-time physics in a synchronised network environment.
- Experience of physically based animation solutions.
- Excellent software engineering and software architecture skills.
- Excellent C++ programming and debugging skills using modern C++.
- Comprehensive, low level understanding of game engines and their components with an ability to make the most out of console hardware.
- Excellent knowledge of physics and mathematics.
- Knowledge of C#, Mel Script or Python is an advantage.
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner, achieving compromises with other disciplines when required to hit deadlines.
- Very strong problem-solving skills - ability to think outside the box.
Personal Attributes/Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Outgoing and pro-active personality who thrives on building and developing relationships with external partners.
- Self-motivated with a drive for excellence.
Special Requirements/Additional Information e.g. Language Skills
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity
Microsoft’s privacy statement can be viewed on the following web page: http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-gb/default.mspx
Job Segments: Developer, Physics, Programmer, Engineer, Microsoft, Technology, Science, Engineering